Why should I invest in the Bahamas?
- A politically stable environment conducive to private investment
- An atmosphere where investments are safe and the expropriation of investments capital is not a considered option;
- A legal environment based on a long tradition of Parliamentary Democracy, the rule of constitutional and statue laws and where the security of life and personal property is guaranteed;
- A stable macroeconomic environment bolstered by a prudent fiscal policy, a stable exchange rate, flexible exchange control rules, and free trade;
- An environment in which freedom from Capital Gains, Inheritance, Withholding, Profit Remittance, Corporate, Royalties, Sales, Personal Income, Dividends, Payroll, and Interest Taxes are ensured;
- Essential public service, an adequately equipped police constabulary, modern health, and education facilities and other social services;
- Dependable Public Utilities; and
- Essential Public Infrastructure such as roads, ports, and airports.
There are incentives to persons for choosing The Bahamas for this purpose as well. Overseas investors may acquire residential properties in The Bahamas of up to two acres without prior government approval. Additionally, persons who purchase a home in The Bahamas valued at $1.5 million or more may receive accelerated consideration of their application for Permanent Residency in The Bahamas. These are processed within a period of 21 days.
|Value of consideration||Stamp Duty|
|$0 - $100,000||2.5%|
|$100,001 - $300,000||4.0%|
|$300,001 - $500,000||6.0%|
|$500,001 - $700,000||8.0%|
|$700,001 - $1,000,000||9.0%|
|Greater than $1,000,000||10%|
In respect of owner-occupied property:
- The first $250,000 of market value is tax exempt
- More than $250,000 and not exceeding $500,000 of market value is 0.625%
- More than $500,000 of market value is 1%
In respect of unimproved property other than unimproved property exempt by virtue of Section 39 of the Real Property Tax Act:
- First $7,000 of market value is $100
- More than $7,000 of market value is 2%.
In respect of any other property:
First $500,000 of market value is 1%
More than $500,000 of market value is 2%